French Open wild card Louisa Chirico wants to face Serena Williams

French Open wild-card recipient Louisa Chirico said she wants to take on Serena Williams on her grand slam debut.

Chirico and Frances Tiafoe won the United States Tennis Association's wild cards in May, earning the right to be in their respective 128-player draws at Roland Garros.

MORE: Nadal out of ATP top five | Murray wins Madrid Open | PHOTOS: American French Open winners

The USTA has reciprocal agreements in place with the French and Australian tennis bodies that sees one wild card per men's and women's draws traded for their respective majors.

Chirico, 18, and the 17-year-old Tiafoe will be making their main-draw debuts at grand-slam level when the clay-court major begins on May 24.

When asked who she would like to face, Chirico said the 19-time major winner.

"This is maybe a weird answer, but I would actually like the opportunity to play Serena, just because you never know," she said. "I think she's obviously one of the best around right now. It would be such a great opportunity to play her just to see what the level is like, how she competes and plays. It would be such an honor to play against her."

Chirico said she was not bothered her debut on one of the four big stages in tennis did not come at the U.S. Open in New York.

"I don't think it would really make a difference being at the U.S. Open or any other grand slam," Chirico said. "I think playing grand slam main draw for the first time is obviously going to be a new experience. There are going to be new feelings and emotions that you haven't experienced before. It's all very new and very exciting. 

"But I'm very excited it will be at the French Open. I do love the clay. I've had some good success in the juniors there. I'm really looking forward to playing there for the first time in the pros."

Chirico narrowly edged out Katerina Stewart for wild-card honors in Paris. The pair were level on points gained in the necessary low-tier tournaments, but the decisive factor was ranking.

Chirico (112th) got the nod ahead of Stewart (161st), despite the latter beating the former in two of the three relevant events.

Tiafoe was assured of his wild card after strong performances in three Challenger Tour tournaments on U.S. soil.

He was more skeptical about beginning his grand-slam career in France.

"I would prefer it to be the (U.S.) Open. I love the clay and everything, but being an American, playing at the Open, I had an unbelievable crowd in quallies on court 17 last year," Tiafoe said. "I really like playing in front of the big crowds, people going crazy for you. You play better, it's more fun.  Hopefully I can play main draw there this year. 

"But it's going to be great for me to go and play in the French Open main draw. I'm very excited."

Tiafoe said Gael Monfils was his desired first-round opponent, and wanted to steer clear of nine-time champion Rafael Nadal.

"My most favorite would be to play Monfils. That would be really fun. He'll get the crowd into it. I'll try to get the crowd into it. You know what I mean? I think it will be really fun," Tiafoe said. "My least favorite player . . . who wants to play Nadal at the French Open? I mean, if I did play him, I obviously like him, but I think there's better people to play than him in Paris."


View the original article here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patriots teammates furious over Tom Brady's Deflategate suspension

Orioles' 'Re-Opening Day' uniforms are all about Baltimore

Wimbledon bans 'selfie sticks'